Blogs Notarize Genie
What is Remote Online Notarization? A Crash Course on the Emerging Technology in the Notarization Industry
Remote Online Notarization, also known as RON, is the process of having a document notarized online by a notary public utilizing approved technology. RON allows the signer to have a document notarized from the comfort of their home, office, or on the go removing the time it takes to locate and travel to the notary public.
In addition to ease and convenience, Remote Online Notarization offers increased access to notarial services, security, and enforceability with a reduced risk of identity fraud. Fortunately, many states allow their notaries to act as a Remote Online Notary, and all 50 states accept documents remotely notarized. Notarize Genie can help you decide if RON is the right choice for your notarization needs.
The technology that Remote Online Notarization utilizes has been in the works for many years. While notarization started with pen-to-paper signatures, they have since evolved to include electronic signatures. The next step was allowing mobile notaries to travel to the signers, and along the way, a few states began implementing temporary Remote Online Notarization Laws. However, the pandemic blew the top off RON, and soon many states jumped on the bandwagon. After seeing the effectiveness, convenience, and additional security measures, states moved into the 21st century by allowing remote notarizations.
How Remote Online Notarization Works
RON is the electronic version of notarizing documents using an electronic signature, state-of-the-art identity verification, audiovisual technology, and electrical notarial journal record-keeping technology. Using a RON technology provider, such as Notarize Genie, the signer no longer must meet a notary in-person to sign a paper document.
Utilizing electronic signatures and electronic documents, online notarization simplifies signing documents. The notarization process is easy and straightforward, and includes the following:
- 1.The signer uploads a copy of their document(s) needing to be notarized, typically in PDF format.
- 2.The signer's identity is checked utilizing Dynamic Knowledge Based Authentication from a company like IDology, then verifying the signer's identification documents with credential analysis processing before passing the signer along to the Remote Online Notary Public remotely for a final review of their ID during the notarization.
- 3. The Notary and signer communicate using audiovisual technology that is recorded and stored in the Notary's journal for no less than ten (10) years.
- 4. Once the Notary verifies the signer's identity, both the signer and Notary sign the document, and the Notary attaches their seal.
- 5. The RON platform automatically records for the Notary all required information within the Notary's journal and retains the journal entry and the audio and video recording of the session for ten (10) years.
- 6. The RON platform will then automatically return the notarized document to the signer.
Depending on the size and complexity of your document(s), your Remote Online Notarization session may only take five minutes! Notarize Genie makes RON easy and efficient, taking little time from the signer's day.
How Notarize Genie Matches the Signer With a Remote Online Notary
You might think RON sounds great, but where is the Notary located, can you trust them, and do you have to supply one yourself? Fortunately for the signer, Notarize Genie has a large team of notaries standing by and ready to help with your remote notarization. When the signer initiates a session, they are paired with a legally commissioned and trusted Notary Public from the Notarize Genie platform.
Our notaries undergo several onboarding steps that ensure our notaries are legally commissioned, certified signing agents, and possess the knowledge base required to offer first-class Remote Online Notarizations. First, we require them to submit proof of their commission, training, education, background screening, and insurance. Once the Notary submits their information, Notarize Genie verifies their commission against the state's notary database to ensure they are commissioned by the state. Second, for a notary to work on our platform, they must pass the Notarize Genie onboarding exam and NNA Signing Agent exam.
Notarize Genie's platform is perfect for businesses with in-house notaries as well. Utilizing our remote online platform, signers no longer have to come into the office, and the notaries don't have to chase the signers for a signature. Remote notarization saves businesses time and money, removing the headache of in-person notarizations.
What Documents Can be Signed with Remote Online Notarization?
Numerous industries and professionals have found the effectiveness of RON to be more efficient and less costly than traditional notarization. Whether you need a financial or legal document notarized, Notarize Genie can bring the Notary to you. A few documents signers have notarized online:
- 1. Financial documents, including beneficiary changes, retirement distributions, power of attorney, and trusts
- 2. Legal documents like affidavits, motions, power of attorney, and deeds
- 3. State and local government documents such as deeds and child custody agreements
The document(s) signers have utilized RON for greatly exceeds the above list, as almost any document needing notarization can be done online. RON is also utilized for the following documents and business sectors:
- 1. Real estate
- 2. Businesses services
- 3. Internal corporate notarizations
- 4. HR documents
- 5. Lease and rental agreement
- 6. I-9
- 7. Permits and notice of commencements for construction projects
Whether you are a signer or a business, we have a notarization solution that fits your needs. It doesn't matter if your document is one page or 100, Notarize Genie will make the notarization process easy to navigate.
Is Remote Online Notarization Secure?
Many people worry that Remote Online Notarizations are insecure and put their sensitive information at risk. Each state allowing the notaries to act as RONs has rules and regulations setting forth the technology requirements for all platforms performing remote online notarizations. While each state's law may vary slightly, most Remote Online Notarization laws require the following:
- 1. Notary registration as a Remote Online Notary
- 2. Use of audiovisual communication technology
- 3. Use of credential analysis technology, like IDology, to verify government-issued ID & KBA
- 4. Application of electronic signatures, seals, and digital certificates
- 5. Use of records, electronic journaling, and storage
- 6. Compliance with data privacy laws
There is a common concern now about whether your personal information is safe. Notarize Genie keeps the signer's information stored safely in a permanent tamper-evident electronic format protected by password and encryption with no public access, only the Notary may access their notary journal, which includes the audiovisual recording
If, for any reason, a third party wishes to access this information, they must speak directly with the Notary Public that performed the notarial act. Additionally, the law dictates who and how anyone can access a Notary's journal.
Notarize Genie Makes Signing Documents More Efficient with Remote Online Notarization
Whether you are a business, signer, or Notary, Notarize Genie has an affordable, easy-to-use solution for notarizing documents. Using trusted technology, we provide a secure platform and quick turnaround on your documents.
In addition to following all state laws and guidelines, our notaries must follow notarization best practices. With live phone and email support, we offer on-demand assistance should the signer run into any issues. To learn more about Notarize Genie or drop us a line, visit us at www.Notarizegenie.com.